Be safe in the winter weather! Unfortunately for people living in Pennsylvania during the winter season, along with the beautiful snowy landscapes come a variety of winter-related dangers. One of the most common injuries during this time of year, especially in older adults, are slip-and-fall accidents. How can you protect yourself? Try and following the guidelines below, courtesy of Denver Health.
- Try and plan ahead as much as you can, and base your trips around breaks in bad weather. Use common sense, and don't go out if you don't need to do so.
- Don't rush! Give yourself much more time to go from Point A to Point B, whether you are walking or driving a car.
- Be aware, and take the safest looking paths while walking and driving. Alternate routes may be necessary, so familiarize yourself with where you are going!
- Help others and let others help you. Assist each other in crossing icy patches on foot.
- Wear the appropriate shoes! Choose shoes that give you the most traction, and remember that you can always bring in a change of shoes to put on after you've arrived at your ending destination.
- Be especially careful in parking lots! Entering and exiting cars can be a particularly troublesome area for injuries. Also be aware of cars who may be stopping or sliding.
- Keep your hands free. Don't walk while using your phone or texting, and avoid carrying a large amount of heavy items.
- Do your part to keep your sidewalks and driveway clean and ice-free. Frequently apply ice melt or sand as often as possible to melt icy patches and give yourself and others traction on winter surfaces.
If you have slipped and fell on the property of another, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills and potential pain and suffering. This may include cases where sidewalks were improperly maintained due to the winter weather, such as failure to remove snow and ice. Attorney Doug Stoehr takes cases for clients who have sustained slip-and-fall injuries due to the fault or negligence of another. For more information on his Altoona, PA area practice, please visit his website at http://www.stoehrlaw.com or call his firm at 814-946-4100.