Have you heard of adhesion pain before? Chances are that you have not heard of this medical term unless you or a loved one has had very extensive or invasive medical treatments. However, adhesion pain is a very real and painful medical problem. So what is the condition, anyway? Adhesion pain can best be described as "pain resulting from internal scar tissue that fuses together, most often in the abdominal region."
Curious and want to learn more? Here are some fast facts about adhesion pain (resources from Pain Pathways magazine):
- Adhesion scars can come not only from surgical procedures, but from injuries that do not require invasive surgery, such as getting hit in the stomach or being in a car accident.
- Adhesion scars can result in a serious medical complications, including chronic abdominal pain, fusion of internal organs, obstruction of the bowels, and infertility.
- Adhesion scars don't not appear on medical scans, such as CAT, PET, or x-rays. So, that means that they can sometimes be tricky to diagnose!
- Treatment normally involves attending to the symptoms, and not the actual adhesion scar. Although surgery is available to cut adhesion tissue, it may actually lead to more scar tissue and potentially worsen the problem.
- As a result of the recognition and diagnosis of adhesion scar pain, some foundations and support networks have been formed around the country for those suffering from adhesion scar pain.
The formation of adhesion scar tissue can occur after a wide variety of accidents and injuries, such as car accidents. It is very important to monitor your pain and consult with a knowledgeable physician if you suspect that you may have a case of adhesion scar pain, especially if it leads to bowel obstruction or other painful disorders. If you experience adhesion pain as the result of a car accident, it may be time to consult with an attorney. Attorney Doug Stoehr is a personal injury lawyer located in Altoona, PA and serves the central and western Pennsylvania area. For more information on him and his firm, please call his law firm at 814-946-4100.