Spinal cord, brain, and other serious injuries are frightening, life changing, and complicated to live with and treat. A recent press release by the Shriners Hospital for Children offered up a few surprising and eye-opening statistics related to the prevalence and common causes of spinal cord injuries. Their list included the following statistics:
- At least 30, if not more, American citizens every day are victims of a spinal cord injury that results in some form of paralysis
- There are over 12,000 new cases of spinal cord injury every year in the US
- About half of all spinal cord injuries occur higher up the spinal column (around the neck area), which affects the ability to breathe, as well as motor control and sensation in all four limbs
- Specifically for children, between 1,500 and 2,000 new spinal cord injuries are reported every year in the US
- Among the most commonly reported causes of spinal cord injuries, especially for children and teenagers, are motor vehicle accidents, diving accidents, trampolines, and falls.
Attorney Doug Stoehr knows how difficult it can be when you or a family member has suffered a debilitating spinal cord or brain injury. His legal practice is focused solely on personal injury, including cases where severe spinal cord, brain, and other serious injuries have occurred. He has successfully handled cases for clients involving motor vehicle accidents, premises liability, and falls; most recently, one of his cases involving severe brain injury settled for over $1.2 million dollars. For more information, please contact our office at 814-515-9074 to set up a free consultation.