As we prepare for Christmas, sometimes we forget to think about the potential hazards that Christmas decorations and activities can bring in regards to our physical safety. As you enjoy the holiday season, please keep these tips and tricks in mind to increase your chances for a safe, happy, and injury-free holiday:
- When picking a live Christmas tree, make sure it’s fresh and the needles seem dark green, soft, and supple. A dry tree increases your risk for a fire.
- Make sure you don’t place any decor on or close to heat-producing sources like radiators, fireplaces, or space heaters.
- As you string your lights, try not to overload one outlet. If cords look old and worn, consider replacing them. Always turn off lights when you’re leaving the house.
- Make sure you and your family members know where your house’s fire extinguisher is and how to use it.
- Keep your exterior spaces, including sidewalks, driveway, and porch free and clear of snow and ice. This will keep you safe and also potentially reduce the risk of another person falling on your property.
Happy holidays and best wishes for a joyful, prosperous new year!