Douglas V. Stoehr
Injury Lawyer
Reclaim Control Of
Your Life After An Injury
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor Vehicle
Other Types of Claims
Other Types
Of Claims
Nursing Home Negligence/Abuse
Nursing Home

Working with Chronic Pain

One of the main difficulties surrounding symptoms of chronic pain is how it influences every aspect of your life for extended periods of time.  Chronic pain is often not a disorder that changes its symptoms or decreases across situations or length of time.  Due to this, chronic pain can lead to long-term problems in other aspects of your life, such as socially, athletically, and in workplace performance. Unfortunately, these problems may not go away or decrease substantially over time.

So, what can an employer do to help a worker who is suffering from chronic pain? Well, HR representatives in particular play a vital role.  HR representatives can work with employers and employees to outline and discuss the laws and regulations surrounding disabilities (professionally diagnosed chronic pain is considered both a medical condition and a disability). Of note, it is important to remember that employees chronic pain are covered under the Americans With Disabilities Act.  It is important for lal parties to have open, honest, and sensitive conversations surrounding chronic pain, your disability, and workplace expectations. 

Additionally, it is important for employers to recognize the unique medical challenges that comes along with chronic pain and work with their employees accordingly. Chronic pain is a tricky diagnosis in terms of finding the right medication combination that will work, but will not lead to overmedication.  Working with a physician, and sometimes trial and error with medication, i may be one of the only ways for chronic pain sufferers to find any kind of long-term relief.  If you would like more information about this page or central Pennsylvania attorney Doug Stoehr‘s areas of practice surrounding injuries that lead to chronic pain, contact our Altoona, Pennsylvania, law firm by calling 814-515-9074.