This holiday season, do you have any children on your list to stop for? If so, be careful what you plan to buy! The World Against Toys Causing Harm, Inc. (W.A.T.C.H.) organization has posted their annual guideline for shopping for toys this holiday season. You may not know that toys can often get recalled or deemed dangerous, especially when the holiday season draws near. What can you do to keep your children safe? You can start by following these guidelines, many of which can be found on the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission website.
- Read the safety labels! That way, you can make sure that you’re buying a gift that will be appropriate for that child’s age and not pose potential hazards, such as choking.
- When gifting riding toys, such as battery operated riding cards, bicycles, and tricycles, always include helmets and padding with the gift.
- Research the toy online to find reviews, tips, and warnings from other consumers. Sometimes, word of mouth from other buyers, especially parents, is the best way to find out whether a toy is safe or not.
- If you’re unsure about whether a toy is safe or not, don’t take the risk. Skip purchasing it and choose something else that you don’t have reservations about.
- If you have reservations, pick a toy that is “low tech” and has the fewest moving parts. Better yet, choose a book if you are unsure.
Want to know which toys made this year’s list of the ten “worst toys” to buy? Check out this article: https://toysafety.org/toy-safety/2020-10-worst-toy-list/
At our law office, we always recommend researching any products before you buy them. It is also important to know your product’s warranty and guarantees! Attorney Doug Stoehr is a personal injury lawyer serving Blair and the seven surrounding counties in central Pennsylvania. He takes cases for product liability. For more information on his Altoona, PA area firm, please call his office at 814-946-4100 to set up a free initial consultation.