The snowy time of year is here again! During this season, people have to take extra precautions to keep themselves and others safe. This is especially true when you are out walking. According to our own regional UPMC website, there are many preventative measures you can take to prevent winter accidents. Some of their suggestions include:
- Make sure that you’re consistently wearing boots or other slip-resistant shoes
- Take extra precautions when entering and exiting your car
- Watch for slippery floors at entrance points of homes and other buildings
- Try to avoid carrying items, or walking with your hands in your pockets. This allows you to keep your hands and arms free for balance.
- As always, be careful of black ice.
- Tap your feet on the ground to test for slippery areas, and walk flat footed if that area is icy.
If you have slipped and fallen on the property of another, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills and potential pain and suffering. This may include cases where sidewalks were improperly maintained due to the winter weather, such as failure to remove snow and ice. Attorney Doug Stoehr takes cases for clients who have sustained slip-and-fall injuries due to the fault or negligence of another. For more information on his Altoona, PA area practice, please call his firm at 814-515-9074.