- For drivers, there are a few big ways to make sure that you're looking out for bicyclists and their safety. Some things to keep in mind are the following:
- You should yield to bicyclists just like you would another car
- If you're turning right on red, look to the right and behind you to make sure you're not missing a bicyclist who may be turning behind you, too.
- Pass bicyclists just like you would another car! Only pass when it's safe to go into the next lane. Leave the bicyclists room, too.
- Most bicycle accidents are completely preventable if we all take some care on our roads. From the bicyclists' perspective, when you're out at night, always remember to wear bright and reflective clothing! Try to carry a flashlight or wear a headlamp to further increase your visibility. When biking, signal where you're going so nearby drivers have an idea of where you're headed.
If you're driving, make sure to give these people their space! Don't follow them or drive near them at a high rate of speed, and share the road. Obviously, don't do any of these activities drunk or under the influence of any type of drug. Attorney Douglas V. Stoehr works with clients who have been injured in pedestrian, motorcycle, and bicycle accidents. If you would like a consultation regarding your potential personal injury claim, please contact our law office at 814-946-4100.