Construction Site Injuries and Third-Party Liability
Most people think of accidents on construction sites as a workers’ compensation matter. Because of workers’ compensation laws, the potential for lawsuits in such cases would be limited.
But for injuries sustained under certain circumstances, you can file a lawsuit seeking damages. These are known as third-party liability cases. You can pursue litigation if your injuries were caused by:
- Defective products or equipment
- Negligence on the part of vendors
- Negligence on the part of subcontractors
How Liability Works in These Cases
Under Pennsylvania’s workers’ compensation laws, employers agree to compensate worker injuries regardless of the cause. In exchange, workers are prohibited from suing their employers for injuries sustained on the job.
In cases of third-party liability, you are not suing your employer. Instead, you are suing a negligent third party. Below are some examples of claims you might pursue for a construction site injury :
- Example 1: You are injured when a new crane collapses because there were defects in the manufacturing and assembly of the machine
- Example 2: There are dangerous conditions on the property that the property owner knew of but failed to warn you about, leading to injury
- Example 3: A subcontractor working on the site fails to follow safety protocols and causes an accident that injures you
- Example 4: A subcontracting company uses inadequate building materials, and a wall collapses while you are working near it.
Let Our Firm Fight for the Compensation You Deserve
When someone other than your employer is responsible for your injuries, you can pursue a personal injury claim in addition to seeking workers’ compensation. These cases are often complex because of the variables involved and the constantly changing nature of construction sites. But attorney Douglas V. Stoehr has decades of experience conducting complex accident investigations and holding negligent parties liable for the injuries they cause.
Contact a Construction Accident Lawyer Today to Discuss Your Case for Free
Douglas V. Stoehr, Attorney at Law, is based in Altoona and serves clients throughout west central Pennsylvania. To take advantage of a free initial consultation, call us at 814-515-9074, or send us an email.